Monday, April 6, 2015

E is for...

Eight is Enough

Shows I was watching in the seventies is my theme for the A-Z challenge this April.


I was an only child back when this show was on, so can you just imagine the envy I had for those Bradfords? Of course I also spent a portion of each daydream crushing on Adam Rich with that awesome hairdo, but despite Nicholas being more my age, Grant Goodeve's David was simply dreamy. (Sorry Tommy, I just didn't like you like that.) He even got to sing the words when they added them to the theme song.

Mary, Joanie and Nancy seemed nice enough, but Susan was super awesome. Remember when she landed Merle "The Pearl"? (Sorry Tommy, he bumped you down to fourth.) That leaves one more sibling, the one I wanted to paint my nails and share clothes with the most - Elizabeth. I thought she was all that. 

Go on and spend your day like a bright and shiny new dime, and keep that plate of homemade wishes on your kitchen window sill.

14 comments:

  1. I wa all about Grant Goodeve too. Poor Tommy, I don't think he was anyones favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have the 1st season on DVD. Great show! Elizabeth was pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the show very well, and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was Team Tommy *runs and hides from Kim in the corner* And that one episode after the mom had died and they found the one Christmas present for Tommy that was hidden and he got a last Christmas present from his mom??? Gah, I cried like a baby....

    And then Tommy grew up and became Bible Man. Yep. Team Tommy!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I've been humming that dang theme song since I clicked on that video earlier this morning. Grrrr. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Willie Ames played Tommy then that's who I liked. Grant Goodeve was a bit too old for my 12/13 year old self! He lives in the Pacific NW and hosts an outdoorsy type show up there and frequently sings on Bob Rivers' "Twisted Tunes" series of funny sendups of old songs. My personal fave is "Cat's in the Kettle at the Peking Moon" (sung to Cats in the Cradle).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea, I'm loving your theme. I was a teen in the 70s and your posts are bringing back good memories. Eight is Enough was one of our favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a classic show. And DVP was also in Space Balls, so he has that going for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted a huge family because of this show AND I wanted to live in Cali then I learned it was Sacramento....then no.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched this show and I'm not sure why...I had the big family...lousy with kids...and I totally envied my only-child bestie!

    For the life of me, I have no recollection of that theme song. I'm blaming it on the pot farm.

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this show! You are so good at bringing back memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Andrea. Thanks for visiting Inventions by Women A-Z at my blog. I don't remember watching these in the 70s, but have heard of them. I was a newlywed in the early 70s and mostly watched TV my husband liked. I think I would have liked Eight Is Enough, but it probably would have scared the daylights out of him :) :)
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched this show a lot, but don't recall much from it. How sad is that? I do remember that Adam Rich was just an adorable little kid. I also remember thinking that I wished I came from a big family. Maybe I just wanted the "Ideal" that they portrayed on TV....

    ReplyDelete